- Coronavirus vaccine candidate Ad5-nCoV from Chinese pharmaceutical company CanSino is both safe and effective, according to the results of a Phase 1 clinical trial.
- Researchers looking at 108 healthy volunteers who received the test drug in mid-March found the vaccine generates the kind of immune response that can kill the novel coronavirus.
- The side-effects were mild and transitory, suggesting that the coronavirus treatment is safe to use. The Ad5-nCov drug has now moved to the next phase of clinical trials.
The coronavirus health crisis is still ravaging countries around the world. As European countries and US states start reopening, the virus is still raging in other countries, with South America and Russia being new epicenters for the disease. Even China locked down another region due to COVID-19 worries, and experts warn that a second wave is inevitable. The World Health Organization (WHO) said COVID-19 might be here to stay , but that’s not as bad as it sounds. An increasing number of therapies have yielded positive results, and researchers are quickly coming up with two other treatment avenues that might work. Some of them are working on antibody drugs that would work just like plasma transfusions from COVID-19 survivors, and others are creating vaccines that would hopefully train your immune system to produce its own antibodies capable of neutralizing the virus.
A series of reports in the past few days detailed the progress made so far on the vaccine front, with drugs from Oxford and Moderna showing promising results in pre-clinical and early-stage clinical trials. These are just two of the more than 100 vaccine candidates in development, and more than 12 drugs that reached clinical trials. They’re also not the only ones to show promise, as another promising vaccine candidate made in China appears to be safe and effective.
Today’s Top Deals
- 10 deals you don’t want to miss on Saturday: Crazy AirPods sale, 80% alcohol sanitizer, KN95 masks, 4K Fire TV, more
- Amazon is blowing out Fire TVs up to 55 inches with prices starting at $119.99
- KN95 masks are actually in stock today at Amazon – but not for long
Trending Right Now:
- There’s something you need to know about coronavirus and face masks
- Best Buy’s huge Memorial Day sale is underway – here are the 10 best deals
- Google Maps just got a feature every navigation app should steal
China has a vaccine candidate that can kill the coronavirus in humans originally appeared on BGR.com on Sat, 23 May 2020 at 13:05:29 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.