- Scientists from Harvard have developed what they say is a material that is not only strong against impacts like Kevlar but also protects against heat and cold.
- The material is 20 times as insulating as the alternative materials while also providing impact protection.
- The new material could be used for firefighters, military personnel, or even astronauts in the future.
You know what Kevlar is. It’s the material that is often used to make vests or other gear to protect against projectile impacts . It’s good at what it does, which is to make sure that whatever is behind it stays safe from whatever is in front of it. That said, it’s not something you’d probably want to put on if you were running into a burning building.
Now, researchers have developed what they say is an ultra-tough material that is strong against impacts but also super-insulating. The material could be used for a variety of applications, from firefighting and military to space exploration.
Today’s Top Deals
- Today’s top deals: Purell in stock, Clorox wipes, 3M face masks, free Echo Dot, $50 off AirPods 2, $99 TV, more
- Get these 3M face masks before Amazon remembers they’re only supposed to be for hospitals
- 3M N95 masks on Amazon are surprisingly available to anyone – but not for long
Trending Right Now:
- Here we go again – more than two dozen Android apps caught stealing your data
- Bad news: You might not be eligible for the next stimulus check
- Oxford scientist says the coronavirus pandemic didn’t begin where everyone thinks it did
This new ‘super material’ is like Kevlar on steroids originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 23:14:01 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.