- The coronavirus transmission risk remains high, warned the World Health Organization during a meeting of its emergency committee.
- WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the COVID-19 pandemic is a “once-in-a-century health crisis” with effects that will be felt for “decades to come.”
- The health crisis already taught us that some COVID-19 patients will take weeks or even months to recover and may sustain internal damage from the infection that could lead to long-lasting medical conditions.
The novel coronavirus is here to stay, even once vaccines are widely available. It’s still too early to tell how long COVID-19 immunity lasts, but infectious disease experts think the new virus will behave just like other human coronaviruses. That means reinfection could be possible as soon as six to twelve months after the first bout, and vaccine protection will be limited without regular booster shots. Even if vaccines are approved this fall or winter, it will be months until public immunization campaigns can start in earnest. The initial vaccine supply will not meet demand, as the entire world might need 15 billion doses to inoculate everyone — and some people will always resist vaccines, while others are in remote regions that may not be accessible. Therefore, it will be years before a large percentage of the world’s population is vaccinated against COVID-19, and that’s assuming the current candidates are effective. Other drugs are also in human trials and they could provide new effective therapies to prevent COVID-19 complications or death.
With all that in mind, it seems unlikely for the novel coronavirus to disappear anytime soon and the world will have to learn to live with it, just like it did with other infectious diseases. The World Health Organization (WHO) made this prediction several months ago , as researchers learned more details about the new illness. But now, the WHO just gave the world the worst possible forecast about the novel coronavirus.
Today’s Top Deals
- 10 deals you don’t want to miss on Saturday: Lysol spray and wipes, $1 face masks, $20 off Amazon’s #1 mattress topper, more
- Today’s best deals: 3M face masks, Lysol wipes, one-day Anker sale, Purell in stock, Bose blowout, Fire TV deals, more
- Get 3M face masks and NIOSH-approved filters before Amazon remembers they’re only for hospitals
Trending Right Now:
- This is the new Netflix series I’m most excited about right now
- Waiting on a new stimulus check? Here’s when it might arrive
- Internal CDC document reveals the 10 biggest coronavirus hotspots in the country
WHO just gave us the worst possible coronavirus prediction originally appeared on BGR.com on Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 10:32:11 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.